Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

CRAPPIE MOTHER'S DAY





Lots of people enjoyed Mother's Day in a variety of ways. Family gatherings, lunches and dinners paved the way for celebrations of all things Mom. But since it was a nice day and the mother of my children enjoys the water I talked her into heading to Marion Reservoir for a boat ride. I reasoned she could relax, soak up the sun and read a magazine while our three kids and I, plus my daughter's boyfriend, Adam, did some fishing. She thought that sounded like fun.

My original plan was to head out to the main lake and anchor up and try to catch some walleye. But before we got too far I decided to try a couple casts to shore to see if the crappie were still shallow as we'd been catching good numbers of them the last couple weeks. I caught fish on two of the first five casts so we all put on a bobber and started catching crappie.

We moved around and caught fish several places and they were all shallow. The wind was howling and blowing constantly at 25-30 mph with higher gusts making it difficult to control lightweight bobbers and jigs. But the action was steady and I was glad we hadn't ventured onto the main lake as it was rough with 4-5 foot waves. My kids would have enjoyed the roller coaster-like ride but my wife not so much.

It got hot enough my wife decided to get into the water to cool off. Although I thought 71-degree water still sounded chilly, she thought it sounded just fine since the air temperature was 97 degrees. She floundered around behind the boat while we continued to catch fish. We ended the day with 43 keeper-sized crappie. Most were 10-11 inches and Cody had big fish for the day with a slab weighing nearly 2 pounds.

I guess our day wasn't typical by many Mother's Day standards. But my wife had a good time as did the kids and I. We could make it a tradition as far as I'm concerned. I just hope she doesn't ask me to go to the mall for Father's Day.





No comments:

Post a Comment