Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

FAMILY FISHING

Fishing with my own kids is fun and I enjoy every minute of it.  However, it's always nice to share and after hearing lots of good fishing reports from previous trips my niece and nephew, Shyanne and Dylan, and sister, Chari Osterhaus, were anxious to join me and my boys this past weekend at Marion Reservoir.  It was our first camping trip of the summer all together so anticipation was high, despite the early wake-up call, when we launched at 6:30 a.m.

We targeted a well-known chum hole and dropped anchors.  It was a nice morning as I baited every one's hook, a task which keeps me busy with five others in my boat.  Shyanne hooked the first fish of the morning and excitement was high.  Dylan was next on the board with another feisty channel catfish. 

The fishing wasn't fast and furious by any definition.  However, we were catching enough and missing plenty more bites to keep things interesting.  Over the course of the next few hours we managed to put 19 cats in the livewell weighing between 3 and 5 pounds.  We called it a morning about 11 a.m. when the temperature started soaring, kids were getting hungry and the girls in the boat had to find a restroom.

Both Shyanne and Dylan were busy snapping photos on their cell phones to share with their friends when we got back to camp.  We took a couple groups shots and it was nice to see the smile on everyones' faces holding up a couple fish.  It's always fun to share the experience.  The kids and my sister will remember the trip each time they sit down to a fried catfish dinner.  They're already looking forward to our next outing in a couple weeks.  Hopefully, it will be worth the wait. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, that was a great family bonding I bet. It's indeed a memorable one. We're also planning to have a fishing trip with my family. I hope it will be as happy and memorable as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Simone, I tell you, fishing is really a fun and great activity to do with your family! Whenever we go fishing, it’s not just our family, but we include the whole clan, from the grandparents, to the aunts and uncles, up to the nieces and nephews. It’s sooo fun!! The kids would really try their best to catch fish on their own.

    ReplyDelete