Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Thursday, October 20, 2011

GATOR'S FIRST DUCKS

Last weekend was a welcome relief and eased my mind.  Our annual duck camp at Cheyenne Bottoms had been missing one of my favorite parts the last couple years.  My old black Lab, Magnum, was laid to rest in the summer of 2010.  Mag was basically retired and hadn't hunted the last couple years.  I still miss the ol' boy. 

But one thing he did before he left this world was father a litter of puppies.  I got pick of the litter and we call him Gator.  Now 17-months old he got his first taste of ducks and duck camp last weekend.   

Gator's got plenty of talent and tons of potential.  I've been working on lots of fundamentals and advanced training ever since I brought him home at 7 weeks old.  But I think I forgot how much energy young dogs can have and channeling that energy is a chore.  Too much energy is better than the opposite and he's done well adapting to lessons.  He's smart, willing to please and a dummy-retrieving machine.

My biggest concern was his ability to sit still and adjust to the duck boat.  New things freak him out.  But with the vigor of a veteran he got right in the boat and was a good citizen.  His first real duck came on an evening hunt as my buddy, Jim, dumped a wigeon.  Gator marked it down and was off at the sound of his name.  He retrieved it well and we shot several photos.  A nice retrieve on a pintail a short time later and Gator was now officially a duck dog.

Over the course of four hunts Gator got nearly 50 retrieves in a variety of situations.  He got better with each and every hunt.  One highlight occurred with two ducks left for a two-man limit at 9:30 a.m.  A drake redhead and drake canvasback came screaming into our spread and Jim and I dropped them both.  Gator had beads on each and a nice double finished up a perfect morning. 

I'd give Gator an A- for his overall efforts on his first few hunts.  I didn't think I could ever have another dog that could compare to ol' Mag as he was a good one.  I said I'd be pleased if Gator was 75 percent as good as his ol' man but he's got a legitimate shot to beat those odds.  He's still just a pup.  Sure, he's got some areas needing improvement but he's a quick study and digs duck hunting.  He's got a wonderful nose, desire and drive and I was a proud owner watching him work and develop. 

I bet his Daddy would be proud, too. 

2 comments:

  1. I know and understand thAt 2nd generation feeling and expectation.. had a fantastic Gordon for 13 years.. To say she was good in the field and at home would be an understatement.. The one liter she had offered up a runt no one wanted.. In 6 months she turned out to be the most remarkable bird dog I have ever hunted over..They are both gone now.. You sure never stop missing them and all the memories seem to get better and stronger with time..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Thank you for sharing your experience with your first duck hunt of Gator. It is indeed a successful hunt and congrats you trained him well.


    Clifford
    www.nicaraguabirdhunting.com

    ReplyDelete