Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Friday, January 20, 2012

WINTER'S THREE W'S

A really don't like winter.  Or more accurately, I really don't like brutally cold, snowy winters.  I'm perfectly content hunting ducks and geese in a sweatshirt and if that's the case there's a good chance my favorite fishing holes are staying open, too.   My apologies to die-hard ice fisherman but I like my chances better on the front of my boat versus staring at an 8-inch ice hole.  This winter has been a good one for my three favorite words that begin with "W"  and that's wipers, whites and walleye.

Each of these fish species can be caught on a number of reservoirs right now and the action can get hot and heavy.  Huge numbers of fish, along with some big ones, aren't uncommon if you catch the right day without a howling wind.  Even freezing temperatures of 32 degrees are tolerable if you dress for the occasion and winds are light. 

Most fish can be found in or around brush, on river channel breaks or other changes in bottom contours like points, jetties or near standing timber.  The best news is once you find one there's a good chance it's not alone. 

I like casting or fishing vertical with a 7-foot medium-light action spinning rod.  Favorite lures include any number of 3-5-inch swim baits on 1/4-ounce jig heads and spoons.  Contact with the bottom on retrieves or jigging is crucial as many schools will stack up and cover it in 15-30 feet of water.


Just a couple words of warning for this time of year.  The water temperature is in the mid-30's right now and a slight misstep can prove deadly in minutes.  If possible, don't fish alone.  It's a good idea to wear a lifejacket.  If your boat doesn't have a ladder, tie a rope with a loop on the bottom to a cleat that you could reach from the outside to aid in getting back into the boat.  As a last resort you can stand on the motor and raise yourself up with the tilt button on the side of most newer motors.  Be careful about footing around icy ramps and rocks.  A little caution will go a long way to having a safe and enjoyable outing. 

Good luck!
        

No comments:

Post a Comment