Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Friday, March 9, 2012

CONCEALED CARRY OUTDOORS

I've always been a bit uncertain about the legalities concerning the transport of firearms for hunting and trapping.  Rules in rural areas can differ markedly for those in various cities.  As a result, I've often wondered if the handgun I use trapping is always being transported according to the letter of the law.  So as to avoid any confusion I decided to to apply for a concealed carry license. 

Concealed carry has been in the news since the law passed in 2006.  More than 40,000 Kansans now have concealed carry licenses.  The concealed carry laws have made their way into the hunting ranks as well as bowhunters with concealed carry licenses are now allowed (new in 2011) to carry a handgun during the archery season.  Trappers can carry a concealed handgun in the field even without the concealed carry license (this isn't anything new).   

The process to obtain a concealed carry license isn't simple or cheap, nor should it be.  An 8-hour class ($100) is required with both a written and handgun proficiency test administered at the end and a passing grade for each needed for completion.  An application is filled out ($8 for a passport-type photo) and another check is written to the Kansas Attorney General (KAG) ($100) and the local sheriff's office ($32.50).  Upon submitting the application to the sheriff's office you're fingerprinted and they run a background check. Once approved at the KAG's office in two to three months the license is issued by your county's Department of Motor Vehicles ($16).  Concealed carry licenses are renewable every four years for $25. 

Once I get my license I'll be more comfortable as far as the legalities transporting my firearms for hunting and trapping.  And the thought of personal protection for me and my family is comforting, too.        

No comments:

Post a Comment