Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Thursday, September 6, 2012

SUMMER COMES TO A CLOSE

I don't know that you can really say anything good about the drought we've endured the last two summers.  Between that and the 100-degree days summer has been a bit relentless.  But as the saying goes if life gives you lemons make lemonade.  It's cliche, but about the only way to justify anything good about a drought.  If you're a bowfisherman, the last two summers have provided buckets of lemonade. 

Low water levels in many of Kansas' rivers have allowed plenty of access (the big three, Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas) are public within the normal water marks.  Access points allow bowfishermen plenty of latitude and miles and miles of opportunity to shoot species such as carp, gar, river carpsuckers, buffalo and several species of catfish.  An ATV is helpful to haul gear, drinks and supplies.  It's not uncommon to travel miles searching for schools of roaming fish.

I've never been a big bowfisherman, but enjoyed several trips this summer with friends.  The first one found us traveling miles and miles before we ever found water deep enough to hold any fish.  One hole about knee-deep was home to a handful of carp and it was literally like shooting fish in a barrel.  Fortunately, for some of them, my aim was horrible as I hadn't practiced and many escaped unharmed. 

On another trip a friend who is an avid bowfisherman invited me along.  He and his friends had literally shot until they were too tired on numerous trips and had great action for weeks prior to my arrival.  Our action was fast and furious, too, but once again my aim sucked.  While I shot a couple dozen fish, my buddy could have filled a small pick-up with his bounty.  It was fun just watching him as he was a fish-shooting machine. 

A cooler-full of rough fish all chunked or ground up makes for great coon bait come trapping season.  Buffalo are tasty and not a bad way to feed a bunch of folks for a fish fry.  Regardless, the drought made for some excellent bowfishing adventures for many Kansans.  I hope next summer isn't like the last two, but if it happens, head to the rivers and lap that lemonade!

No comments:

Post a Comment