Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

FIRST DEER

My daughter, Ashley, used to tag along as an observer on hunts as a youngster.  We enjoyed spending quality time together outdoors.  Even though the highlight of some hunts were a couple donuts and a jug of chocolate milk enjoyed sitting on the tailgate I still cherish many of those experiences.

Ashley took the Kansas Hunter Education Course when she was 9 years old and killed a few turkeys several years later.  But then came school activities and sports and she got busy.  But likely worse yet as far as hunting participation was four, right shoulder surgeries from age 14-18.  Recoil, shotgun or rifle, was never an option during those years and archery was out as well.

Meanwhile, her younger twin brothers had gotten into deer hunting.  They've each killed a deer or two and I think their tales of success, or near misses in some instances, rekindled a desire Ashley had as a youngster. 

"I want to kill a deer when I come back on fall break, Dad" she said, now a college sophomore several hours away.  "It's on my Bucket List."

I didn't realize a 19-year-old could have a Bucket List, but if she has one and that's on there I was game to help her check it off the list.  Recent changes in deer hunting regulations allow kids in all units and adults in four units to use a crossbow.  This option would prove beneficial for Ashley's situation and two of my friends offered up the use of their Horton crossbows after hearing of her request.

We practiced shooting when Ashley got back home and she had no trouble hitting the bullseye.  A quick refresher course on where to aim using a deer hunting DVD and a laser pointer and we were ready to go hunting.  I was surprised at how excited she was as we crawled into the ground blind later that afternoon.

Ashley and I chatted and laughed to pass the time.  Our topics were different now than those when she was a youngster but still quality time spent together.  It wasn't long and Ashley went on point like a prize bird dog.

"DAD!  There's a DEER! she said.  "It's looking RIGHT at us, DON'T MOVE!"

I couldn't see it yet from my vantage point in the back of the blind.  I was amazed at Ashley's reaction and how fast her heart rate and breathing went from cool and calm to 90-to-nothing.  I laughed and told her to relax and we'd see what happened.

We'd chatted about Ashley's expectations on what she wanted to shoot.  I bought her two deer permits so she had several choices.  She had said she really didn't want to shoot a little one, buck or doe.  I told her whatever she wanted to do was fine with me.

As the deer came into my view I could tell it was a small doe and Ashley was instantly disappointed she wasn't going to shoot.  She had the crossbow up and rested on shooting sticks and was watching it through the scope at 20 yards.  To a first-time deer hunter it likely looked as big as a house.  

"Oh, Dad, if I could shoot this one that would be SOOO PERFECT!" she whispered.

Without hesitation I said, "Let's do it.  Put the crosshairs right behind the shoulder and slowly squeeze."

At the shot I knew it was true and the deer bolted.  Ashley wasn't quite so sure as it happened in the blink of an eye.

"Did I get it?" she asked in between labored breaths. 

"Yep!" I responded.

She couldn't wait to get out of the blind and go look.  The deer traveled about 60 yards and Ashley was the first to spot it.  Her excitement level grew as we admired her first deer. 

"That was SO cool!" she said.  "I couldn't believe how fast my heart was beating!"

Ashley was anxious to share her success with friends and family via text and Facebook.  Many of her girlfriends offered immediate congratulations and "You GO, girl!"

One commented "I wish my Dad would take me hunting!"

I'm sure glad I did. 



     

   

No comments:

Post a Comment