Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

FRIGID FISHING





It would have been easier to leave my 11-year-old twin boys and 13-year-old nephew home last Sunday. I was back home in Topeka for my boys' soon-to-be 12 birthday celebration with family and I'd arranged a crappie trip with a buddy to nearby Perry Reservoir. Original plans called for me to take the boys, but the forecast didn't look favorable so I told them I'd go alone for fear they'd get too cold and cut my trip short. But when I walked outside it was sunny and 30 degrees with a light wind. I walked back inside and woke the boys. All three shot out of bed, much different than the response I see on school days.

I followed my buddy to the ramp, just in case the boys got too cold. I didn't want his generosity penalized on my account. Unfortunately, the temperature was now 28 degrees, no sun and a stiff 15 mph breeze. I got the boys' rods ready and helped them adjust to one crank off the bottom. Meantime, my buddy started catching crappie and it wasn't long and each boy got in on the action, too.

We fished for about 2 1/2 hours and the wind never let up. It was frigid. But the boys were entertained with the occasional fish, seven gobblers feeding nearby on acorns, three beautiful bald eagles and pelicans swimming around us. We'd caught 50-60 crappie, but only had 10 better than the 10-inch minimum length limit. Although I had the boys bundled up with layers of life jackets and winter coats, I could tell they were getting chilled. But they never complained. I decided to call it a day for their sake and headed back home.

My buddy's next stop across the lake produced the kind of fishing every angler dreams of. Fishing action nearly non-stop and fast enough he could only use one rod, for several hours. Had I left the boys at home, I would have got in on that action, too. I wasn't disappointed I didn't get to experience it, but wish the boys could have got in on that kind of fishing.

But as we sat down to a hot bowl of chili and a cheeseburger back in town, I knew our success this day wouldn't be measured in keepers. The boys talked non-stop about the wildlife they'd observed. I wondered aloud how many kids their age ever get to see a bald eagle soar just yards overhead or hear a turkey gobble. Despite missing the fast fishing action, I smiled knowing our trip was still memorable. I'm glad they were along.

No comments:

Post a Comment