Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Friday, March 11, 2011

SPRING TRAINING



Baseball's spring training is underway and I'm experiencing some of my own, too. Although fall duck seasons are still many months away it's time to hit the ground running with a young, black Labrador retriever puppy I call Gator. At 9 1/2 months old and 72 pounds he's not much of a puppy any more. But I still felt like a parent dropping their kid off the first day of summer camp last weekend when I left him at Bur Oak Retrievers north of Kansas City.

I've worked with Gator regularly on various commands and retrieving since I brought him home last July at 7 weeks old (pictured). His retrieving instinct and desire is impressive but his willingness to do what he's told when he's told, much like some teenagers, leaves a little to be desired. This is the task owner Gordy Weigel is challenged with correcting in the next couple months.

The training regime is the same I used with Gator's dad, Magnum, 13 years ago. Upon Mag's return from a professional trainer I worked with him diligently at least five days a week for more than a year. I reinforced all that he'd learned at puppy boot camp and by repetition, coupled with his own instincts, he became a fine retriever. It was worth every dollar and minute I spent on him.

Initial "letters from camp" show that Gator has plenty of retrieving desire and a good work ethic. Sure, he'll see what he can get away with but that's part of the learning process. If he ends up 75 percent as good as his ol' man, I'll be pleased as those are big shoes to fill. His final exams will come later this fall.

I'll let you know if he graduates.

No comments:

Post a Comment