Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

CHILD-LIKE DETERMINATION

It's often said a negative factor of youth is inexperience.  However, it just might be that lack of "experience" that allows kids to reach their own conclusions and learn things first-hand.  This type of learning experience likely creates more of a memory than any adult-aided learning situation.  Such was the case recently for one of my 12-year-old twin boys on a family camping trip.

"Do you think I'll catch anything from shore, Dad?" Brandon asked about fishing from the bank. 
"I doubt it as it's too shallow, the water's hot and the boat traffic is bad," I told him.

Undaunted by my less than encouraging prognosis, Brandon caught a crawdad by hand and pinched the tail off and baited his hook with it.  He waded out to waist deep water and cast his pole.  He let line out as he retreated to shore and wedged his rod into the roots of a Cottonwood tree and waited.

In less than 10 minutes his rod tip started bouncing.  He grabbed the pole and the fight was on.  His twin brother, sister, sister's boyfriend, mom and I were all cheering him on as the battle lasted about 5 minutes on the light rod and reel.  Finally, he beached the 3-4 pound flopping, fat channel catfish and looked up at me smiling from ear-to-ear.  He was truly proud of himself and his accomplishment. 

"I guess it doesn't hurt to try, does it buddy?" I said smiling back. 

The next morning Brandon was back at it as soon as he was awake.  In short order, he caught a nice drum and a fat carp using the same technique.

In this instance, I'm glad Brandon didn't heed my advice.  The fact he did it on his own made the moment even more enjoyable.  He was proud of his accomplishment and I was proud of him for trying despite the odds. 

Maybe I should tell him I don't think he could play quarterback for the New England Patriots or become President of the United States.....     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment