Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

HOOKED ON FISHING

My daughter's boyfriend, Adam, started fishing with me a couple summers ago.  At the time, he debated whether or not to just buy a 24-hour fishing license since he didn't know how often he'd go.  I got the impression he wasn't real sure he'd enjoy it so he was hedging his bets about spending the extra money.  I told him we'd likely fish more that summer and he was welcome to go along if he wanted to buy the yearly license.  I joked I'd buy it for him but since he wasn't related he was on his own.

Since that time, Adam has become a bit of a fishing fanatic.  He now fishes local ponds and creeks on his own and he goes fishing with me and my family every chance he gets.  He fishes at least two or three times a week after work and on weekends.  My daughter blames me for his addiction and the new-found competing interest.

It's all good in my book.  The joy of fishing is getting out and doing it.  It's the thrill of catching something and feeling the steady pull of a fish as it fights.  It doesn't take much to hook a kid on fishing and a trip or two might be all they need to become a lifetime angler.  It worked for Adam and it could work for someone you know, too.  Give it a try.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment