Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Monday, February 13, 2012

OUT WITH A BANG

Goose hunting is a good time.  Living in and around an urban area hunters can take advantage of wintering goose populations that rival some of the wildest areas in Kansas.  I used to goose hunt a lot but now that I chase ducks so much it's taken a back seat in recent years.  We'll shoot geese and even set up for some while duck hunting, but it's not the same as field hunting big ol' honkers.  So when a friend, Craig, asked last week if I wanted to hit a field with him and his dad, Tom, I jumped at the chance.  

We met and headed out about 3:30 p.m.  A 20 mph brisk north wind dropped the real 30 degree temperature even more, but not enough to keep the wheat field from being a muddy mess.  We put out a couple dozen full-bodies and some Canada goose shell decoys and huddled into a make-shift blind of cedar boughs.   

Craig wasn't even back from parking the truck when a flock of big Canadas tried to land just outside the decoys.  Tom and I managed to bag one big ol' 12 pounder and the hunt was on.  The rest of the evening was spent working a few birds and I realized how much I'd missed field hunting geese.  By the end of the evening we'd managed to bag seven nice birds ranging in size from 8 to 12 pounds. 

But the highlight of the day might have occurred without a shot even being fired.  We thought most of the action was over so we decided to put our guns away and pick up a little before sunset.  As guns were stowed Craig hollered, "Look at that!"

I turned just in time to see a lone Canada land near the decoys.  Simultaneously, Craig and I said, "It's got a neck collar!" 

I looked at my watch and it was 6:03 p.m.  We all looked at each other wondering exactly what time legal shooting time was over (I later looked and it was 6:02 p.m.)  Despite never having seen a neck collared bird in the decoys we all decided it wouldn't be the cowboy way to shoot him after he landed anyway.  We all hoped we'd meet again.

They hunted the rest of the weekend without seeing the neck-collared honker and the season ended Sunday.  It's all good and hopefully he survives until next fall.  Who knows, maybe he'll show up again and one of us will be ready.  I hope so.
 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment