Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Monday, February 6, 2012

PICTURE PERFECT

It's often said if you don't like the Kansas weather just wait 10 minutes.  Our weather can be described as difficult at best.  And when it comes to winter fishing most anglers are at the mercy of ol' Mother Nature.  But this winter we've been blessed with some pretty decent days.  And that's just fine by me.

One day happened last week.  The forecast was for light winds and 60 degrees....something you just don't get much of this time of year.  So several friends and I made plans to take a couple boats and head to the lake.  As I topped the dam early that morning the lake was ice covered except for the edges.  Initially concerned I saw the ice was just skim and I soon found the ramp to be open.

I launched ahead of my buddies in the other boat and made my way to the main lake.  I dropped a couple rods tipped with jigs down and within 30 seconds had the first crappie flopping at the surface.  I thought to myself this might be a magical day.  We had 9 or 10 in the livewell before my buddies arrived. 

The fishing was good but not outstanding.  I'd caught more on previous trips but we ended up catching 40-50 whites and wipers nearly all of which went back in the lake.  The crappie bite was decent and we had plenty for a buddy to go home with a 5-gallon bucket overflowing.  It was indeed a fine outing. 

But the big winner for the day was the weather.  I don't know that the wind ever blew more than 5 mph. The sun finally popped out for good late morning and fishing in just a sweatshirt was perfectly comfortable. We said time and time again we couldn't believe how nice the weather was and we were blessed. 

I'll take more just like it any time ol' Mother Nature wants to throw us a bone.  Maybe she's trying to make up for 50-some days over 100 degrees last summer.  If that's the case she owes us a few more.  Bring it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment