Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Friday, April 27, 2012

DISARRAY

There's only one word to describe my tackle bags after a year or two of hardcore fishing...disarray.  Everything gets hastily thrown back into my fishing bags as we move from spot to spot or get ready to pack up for the trip home.  Over time they get to be a mess and they need a dire straight makeover.

So a couple weeks ago one Saturday afternoon I dumped my crappie bag out on my dining room table.  That was the Saturday all heck broke loose with the Kansas weather so I was stuck glued to the television anyway.  Getting my tackle bag in order was the only good that came from that day of severe weather.

As my kids and wife came into the room for the first time they had to take a step back.  It looked like someone had robbed a bait store and dumped all the loot on the table.  It was quite the mess and pile of stuff.  I knew I'd be busy for at least an hour or so getting it organized and into a new bag with fully functional zippers (I'd used zip ties as handles on the other zippers when the finger-pulls broke). 

Some of my fishing buddies and I give each other a hard time about the weight of our tackle bags so I was intent to reduce inventory.  I've got one buddy who used to buy jigs every time he was at Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops and Wal Mart for that matter.  A guy could get a hernia lifting his bag, but three mules could do it on a good day.  I took out a bunch of jigs in various sizes I either no longer used or had several dozen.  I put them in a Zip Lock bag, weighed them and sent him a text message asking for forgiveness but crowing that my crappie gear was now 2 1/2 pounds lighter!  It was a start.  

It wasn't long and I had nice, new boxes crammed full of all the goodies any good crappie angler should have on hand.  It didn't matter what color they were biting on chances are I'd have at least one extra, or three bags more for that matter. 

But it got organized and that's always a good thing.  I can actually find things.  But don't worry, it won't last too long and one day about a year from now I'll be back at it on my dining room table.     

No comments:

Post a Comment