Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Thursday, April 12, 2012

OUTDOOR PLAN B

Last weekend was the final one for the special youth turkey hunting season.  A KDWPT-sponsored youth turkey hunt in Hutchinson had me excited to guide a youngster from Big Brothers/Big Sisters Friday and Saturday.  Three of our eight youth hunters were successful in Hutchinson and my young hunter had a close encounter and a miss on three toms called to marginal range on Friday evening.  Regardless, he was enthused and I hoped a seed had been planted to grow his hunting interest in the future.

My boys turn would come Easter Sunday.  It was a beautiful morning and the birds were gobbling on the edge of the property where we had permission.  Unfortunately, ol' Dad hadn't followed the weather close enough and the boys weren't dressed properly for the 32 degree temperature at sunrise.  Realizing we didn't have many options in the blind anyway we went back to the truck to warm up and lay a game plan. 

We checked the area where we'd heard the gobbles and set up.  We could get a couple birds to gobble occasionally but it appeared they were content to hang out with their female counterparts.  Cody kept dozing off and Brandon was losing interest so we set out on foot.  Another couple stops failed to produce any response.  As we headed back to the truck the boys happened upon a few morel mushrooms and the hunt was back on. 

 I had to laugh as I pictured churches, parks and lawns all over Kansas having their Easter egg hunts that same morning.  My boys were having their own courtesy of Mother Nature.  Many of the mushrooms were a bit too far gone but they loaded them up in our Easter "basket" (a mesh sack) anyway.  In less than an hour they'd gathered plenty and it was time to head back home for Easter plans with family. 


The turkeys didn't cooperate but in the end that's okay.  Both boys will remember the first Easter they spent as a newly-turned teenager gathering a different egg of sorts.  It's always good when a plan comes together.  But in this case it's always good when Plan B comes together in case the original one is all henned-up and doesn't want to play.       

No comments:

Post a Comment