Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Friday, May 25, 2012

GOTTA HAVE FISH FOR FISH TACOS

It's always a gamble to count on fish as a main course on a camping or road trip.  Some anglers have a back-up plan and that's probably a good thing.  But knowing what we did about Glen Elder Reservoir I had no such thing and I was positive we would catch plenty of tasty walleye for wonderful fish tacos I planned.

However, our trip started out much slower than expected.  Wind gusts well into the 40's didn't help matters but that was still no excuse.  So when we started catching a few sub legal walleye and some REALLY nice white bass I made an executive decision.

"We better start keeping some of those whites if we want fish tacos!" I laughed and told my buddies, Kent and Jim. 

Se we pitched a few into the livewell just in case.

Don't get me wrong, white bass meat is plenty palatable.  But given the choice I'm all over walleye fillets.  Walleye is the filet mignon of the piscine world and white bass is hamburger.  But I love hamburgers, too, and was going to be happy to have them under those circumstances.

But the fishing Gods shined on us and we started catching keeper-sized 'eyes.  Once we had at least one for each of us the white bass got a pardon and swam hastily away after they were pitched back into the lake.  Life was good once again.   

If you're wondering, here's how I do my fish tacos.

Grill or fry the fish fillets.  I like to use Shore Lunch Beer Batter recipe if I'm frying and light oil and Cavenders Greek Seasoning if I'm grilling.

Add the cooked fish fillets to a tortilla, I prefer flour but corn works, too. 

My favorite ingredients beyond that to add to the "taco" (get big tortillas as the concoction gets large in a hurry) are Chipotle and garlic salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, guacamole, coleslaw and black beans.

Bon appetit!  

No comments:

Post a Comment