Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

WHAT I DID ON MY WEEKEND VACATION

I'll be the first to admit I'm not mechanically inclined.  Nor do I have a keen sense of construction science.  But I am smart enough to be slightly dangerous and haphazard when power tools are involved.  I've royally screwed up some stuff and my friends have had some good laughs at my expense.  Fortunately, I still have all my fingers and my power tool privileges have been reinstated. 

So last weekend when the wind was howling and I was bored since I wasn't fishing I decided to build a portable fish cleaning station.  For the past two decades my chest freezer in my garage has served as an impromptu platform that has processed thousands of fillets and is adequate.  However, it gets a little nasty in there and awful toasty in the summertime.  I was looking for something I could stick under a shade tree in my backyard.

It was about 5:30 p.m. when I dreamed up this plan so the lumberyard was closed.  But the local hardware store had 2"x4" studs, 8-feet long that would work just fine.  I bought six of those for $3.69 each and a pound of screws for about $10.  In all I'd have about $35 in it.



My construction plans were to fly by the seat of my pants which has proved eventful in the past.  But I reasoned even if I screwed things up I wouldn't be out a whole lot.  I had several goals, one of which was to incorporate a piece of countertop I could take off and keep out of the elements and also use in my garage in the winter or inclement weather.  I also needed a place to fill a pan with water to clean the fillets and a tub kept underneath to house my electric knife, plastic bags and other supplies.  A convenient spot to hang my hose was on the list, too. 

In less than a couple hours I finished my project and was quite proud of my accomplishment.  Granted, you wouldn't want me to build your house but the finished product got rave reviews from friends, neighbors and family.  It's sturdy, functional and light enough I can move it easily by myself. 

Other than a coat of paint or stain it's nearly complete.  The only step left is to get out and catch some fish and see how well it works! 

No comments:

Post a Comment