Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

SPOON FED

Summer is definitely here.  Temperatures are scorching now and it's really not unexpected for July or August in Kansas.  Another given for fishing this time of year is a tactic that gets as hot as the afternoon sun.  Spooning for various species of white fish is a killer technique and works well.

Spoons of assorted sizes and styles work well.  The shad hatch has been going on for weeks now and anything that resembles this dead or dying bait fish is a good choice.  An old standby is the Kastmaster which has been around for decades.  Others work similarly well when fished vertical or pitched and retrieved.  Much of it is personal preference.  As long as it has some flash and a good treble hook it will surely catch fish.

I headed out one evening recently to El Dorado Reservoir with my twin 13-year-old sons, a buddy and his 19-year-old son for a pleasant evening on the water.  I graphed a nice break and some fish in about 18-feet of water and dropped a marker.  Before I could get my boat turned back around fish were being caught from several seats.  The action was fast and furious as spoons were fished and jigged on or near the bottom.  Most fish were small wipers, but the occasional decent fish was tricked, too.  We caught 40 fish in the first 30 minutes.  Regardless of size, my boys were having a blast and I was having fun watching them.

The action slowed so we motored around looking for more schools of fish.  It wasn't long and we found some, but nothing compared to the first action we encountered.  We fished for another few hours and caught more wipers and white bass, crappie, walleye and some monstrous drum on our spoons.  Our final tally stood at 87 fish.  We didn't have many really nice fish and I wasn't interested in cleaning any anyway, so all were returned to the water.  

The spoon action will remain good for weeks.  It's a great way to beat the heat and an evening on the water is a perfect ending to any day.  Give it a try.  You might be surprised how simple it is and most of the time it really works!    

No comments:

Post a Comment