Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

TOO HOT TO FISH...ALMOST

Yeah, there's not much doubt that it's hot and miserable outside.  This summer is shaping up to follow last summer's lead and I don't much care for it.  These continuous weeks with 100-degree-plus days flat-out suck.  The old country song that mentions, "Too hot to fish," isn't far off and nearly true. 

But I still really like fishing.  And it's often the highlight of summer camping trips with me and my sister's families.  There's only one way really to beat the heat and that's to get up and go early.  Which leads to another problem as I've got a couple just-turned teenage boys who like to sleep.  And my daughter works all week and is taking a couple online summer college courses so she's tired by weeks end and not likely to get up with the chickens.  I don't blame them a bit.  But I'd rather lose sleep than skip fishing.  Plus, I've become the master at a big ol' power nap mid-afternoon and I'm good at it. 

We try to get on the water by at least 7 a.m. or so.  I'd rather go earlier but figure I'm pressing my luck with that departure time.  It gives us 3-4 hours of solid fishing which is usually plenty, particularly if the wind isn't blowing.  The heat index goes up way too quick with no breeze.  If it's breezy we're good 'til noon or so if the fish are biting. 

We had some luck on our last camping trip catching walleye, catfish, white bass and wipers.  Fishing wasn't fast and furious but it was still fun.  Early morning is a nice time to spend with family on the water and the boat traffic is typically not too bad.  It doesn't look much better for the coming weeks so I guess it's up and at 'em early again.     

No comments:

Post a Comment