Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

EASTER SKEET



Easter Sunday was nicer than predicted so I wanted to take advantage of the day. I've been meaning to get my 12-year-old twin boys to a gun range and let them shoot to practice on moving targets as they've never done it. They've dove hunted the last couple years and each managed to kill a few doves as we tried to work on their shooting skills with this on-the-job training of sorts. But as expected their kills versus attempts average was less than stellar.


The Ark Valley Gun Club was open for business so we hit the skeet range. The first targets were from station 7 on the low house and they were going straight away. Cody busted the first three out of five while Brandon struggled a bit. I worked on his mechanics and with further instruction he started to break targets. We threw a few from the high house and practiced left-to-right shots. Both boys broke many more targets doing this than I expected. Cody gained enough confidence he wanted to try a double and broke both on his second try.


Brandon and Cody absolutely loved shooting targets and shot three boxes of shells between them. Cody is already asking about a league or shoots geared just for kids. I knew they'd have fun but didn't expect they'd enjoy it that much. And since they're a little too old to hunt eggs any more it wasn't a bad way to spend a nice Easter afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment