Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Friday, April 29, 2011

FARM POND FUN




Kansas is loaded with tens of thousands of farm ponds. Many of them provide fantastic fishing and some of the best bass fishing the state has to offer. I grew up in Topeka and wish I had a nickel for every bass I caught from ponds on a big ol' Mepps spinner. Simple, and extremely productive, fishing for sure and I enjoyed thousands of hours fishing ponds.

I loaded up my boys, daughter and her boyfriend, Adam, and we hit a nearby pond the other day. We had a friendly wager on the first fish, biggest and most fish. Ashley was the first one to holler "GOT ONE!" and she took "first fish" honors. Granted, it was only a 7-inch green sunfish but a fish is a fish and it was indeed the first. Shortly afterwards Adam caught a nice bass and had the "biggest" and was tied for "most." I enjoyed their success and figured I should start fishing, too.

It didn't take long and I, too, was catching fish. My boys were struggling to catch anything so I had them fish nearby. I'd hook a nice little 2-pound bass and open the bail and hand the rod to them. It wasn't quite the same as catching their own but they enjoyed the tussle and thought it cool when they jumped.

In the end, ol' dad took the "most" and "biggest" categories. But the real reward came watching the four of them walking around the pond's edge fishing, just like I used to do many moons ago. I look forward to more trips this spring just like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment