Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Thursday, April 21, 2011

MYSTERIOUS MUSHROOMS



There likely isn't an outdoor topic more mystified and talked about this time of year than morel mushrooms. There's a few weeks in the spring when fungus hunters all across the country start chat rooms buzzing with tales of finds. It seems those stories are in full swing in Kansas right now and 'shroom hunters are out in full force.


Many have their own theories on what makes it "prime time" for mushrooms to sprout. Certainly nighttime temperatures, sunlight, moisture and other weather-related factors are all discussed and used as barometers. Adding even more mystery is the areas where they're found, but that varies geographically in the state. Some swear by elm trees while others look for cottonwoods. Cedars are talked about in some locals and others find them in pastures.


The mysterious nature, coupled with the succulent flavor, of morel mushrooms makes them a prized possession. Throw in the commercial value, anywhere from $20-$50 a pound, and they're a valuable commodity. Good spots are guarded like family secrets and I have no doubt some honey-holes go to graves with die-hard mushroom hunters.


If I find enough for a meal or two I'm pleased. My kids seem to get a kick out of eating something found growing in nature and they equate it to the "Man versus Wild" craze. The window is short so if you've got a notion you better get to looking. It won't last long!

No comments:

Post a Comment