Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

SHE THINKS WE'RE JUST FISHING

Trace Adkins' latest music video shows him and his youngest daughter, Trinity, fishing and the song is aptly titled "She Thinks We're Just Fishing."  Trace admits the song is about being a Dad and spending time with your children.  Fishing is just an avenue to do it.

I'm lost in her there holding that pink rod and reel...
I say Daddy loves you baby one more time...
And all this laughing, crying, smiling, dying here inside...
Is what I call living...
She ain't even thinking 'bout what's really going on right now...
But I guarantee this memory's a big'un...
And she thinks we're just fishing...

These are just a few lines of a song that hits really close to home.  My daughter, Ashley, was 2 1/2 years old when she caught her first fish and I remember it like it was yesterday.  Over the years we've been on many fishing trips together and they've all been special. 

But in just the blink of an eye she grew up.  Last weekend I moved her and a truckload of her stuff off to her first year of college.  I wonder where time went.  I miss her already and she's only been gone a few days.

Looking back I'm thankful we spent so much time together.  Those memories are tucked away and will always be there. I get choked up every time I hear Adkins' song now and Ashley teases me about it.  They're powerful words about the relationship between a daughter and a Dad.  I'm really glad we went fishing.     

1 comment:

  1. I just read through the lyrics of this song and it definitely reminded me of the time I spent with my dad and grandpa out on the lake!

    I definitely got a little choked up too, thank for sharing.

    ReplyDelete