Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Friday, August 26, 2011

YOU CAN HAVE THIS RECORD

Typically, when talks turn to breaking records it's a good thing of sorts.  But in the case of the sweltering summer heat many Kansans have been experiencing I'd just as soon not drag this out any longer.  It's getting old and it's time for a change.

We've tied a record in south central Kansas with 46 days over 100 degrees.  That hasn't happened since 1980.  I've forgot about that summer and I would like to forget this one, too.  But all Mother Nature needs is the roaster on high for another five days and we break the all-time record that's stood since 1936.  

While it's never too hot to fish, this heat takes a toll on anglers.  If there's no breeze you can forget seeing me on an all-day fishing trip.  We like to go early and wrap things up by lunch or so.  Beyond that it's not much fun to me to sit and roast.

And even evening fishing can be brutally hot.  On several camping trips this summer the temperatures were still in the high 90's after the sun set.  That should be illegal.  Regardless, my two boys were down on the bank having success catching plenty of channel catfish fishing from shore.  But it just didn't seem right to see them drenched in sweat at 10 p.m.

It looks like by weekend's end we may have a shot at the 1936 record of hottest summer on record.  Fine, whatever, let's get it over with and get on with it.  It's time for fall.  Thank God we have a change of season in Kansas and I'm ready for it.  Bring on the ducks, a little frost, a morning when you can see your breath and let the leaves fall where they may. 

Now let's hope we don't set any records for most days below freezing.  I wouldn't be a fan of that record, either.  I'm good with average, run-of-the-mill temperatures and these are records I can do without.       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment