Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

GETTIN' CHUMMY WITH IT

Catfish anglers are a unique bunch.  Many aren't fancy and there's not near the glitz and glamour of gear or gadgets associated with more "prestigious" species like bass or walleye.  But in the same breath catfish anglers are some of the most dedicated anglers out there.  Catfish remain near or at the top in angler preference so there's no doubt they're popular.

One technique catching on in recent years is chumming.  Long thought to be illegal by some, chumming involves placing an attractant in the water with hopes of attracting fish.  Some "chum holes" have fancy names like the "Hawg Trough" at Perry Reservoir.  Peak days may find dozens of boats in the same area.  Other reservoirs have their own and it can work on most any body of water.

I've been chumming for a few years now and enjoy it.  I was never a fan of sitting and watching lines but fishing from a boat we fish vertical, much like we do for walleye or crappie.  I like that approach and the smallest of "ticks" occasionally results in the biggest of fish. 

Rotten grain like soybeans, milo, wheat or corn are popular choices for chum.  Placed in a bucket covered with water for a few days in the summer will have your neighbors to the north crying foul.  Be careful when you take the lid off as the stench could gag a maggot.  But that's exactly what catfish love and I'd bet they'd come running if they had legs.


Some of my hardcore walleye friends laugh at me when I talk about catfishing.  But I often have nieces and nephews, my kids, neighbors and others in the boat when we chum.  It's a great way to catch a bunch of catfish.  Now is the perfect time of year to do it.  I went last Sunday and even on a slow day two buddies and I ended up with 14 nice channel catfish up to about 8 pounds.  It's a great, although somewhat smelly, way to enjoy the Kansas outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment