Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Thursday, September 1, 2011

DOZENS OF DOVES

September 1st is here and that means the initial kick-off to the fall hunting seasons.  Dove hunters will be out in full force the next couple days.  Interest is high as it's been a long summer waiting on fall.  Dove numbers look good this year and if this morning is any indication there shouldn't be any problem finding a few doves.

A buddy, Jim Reid, and I took advantage of a Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism managed dove field.  They're scattered around all over the state and dove hunters can find out where and how to get to various ones by checking at http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/.  Managed dove fields typically include sunflowers or wheat and either can be incredible under the right conditions.  Much of the success or failure of some of these plots is at the mercy of Mother Nature.  This year it seems she's cooperated and rain hasn't been an issue, at least in south central Kansas.

We arrived at 6 a.m. and there were already 22 vehicles in the parking lot and on the road.  We picked up our survey cards and eased into the darkness knowing more hunters would be rolling in as shooting time approached. We donned bug spray and shooting glasses and waited for it to get light.

A few shots signaled the start of the 2011 season and it wasn't long and the barrage began.  Doves came from all directions and I had to pass on dozens of shots where the doves were too low resulting in a dangerous shot under crowded conditions.  But picking and choosing my angles and options I began to knock a few doves from the sky.

The morning was beautiful and as peaceful as could be under the circumstances.  More doves kept coming and before long I needed to count to double-check my mental tally.  I was just easing into a second box when I killed my 15th dove at about 7:15 a.m.  I picked up my stool, hulls and doves and made my way to Jim's location.

He was excited and happy about the morning's prospects.  We marveled at the number of doves we'd seen and still flying.  He had about 12 birds in his pile when I arrived and I told him I'd play bird dog and retrieve his remaining birds.  It wasn't long and he had his limit, too.

We talked over a big breakfast back at town.  The morning was a huge success and despite the crowded conditions everyone seemed to get along.  I have to think if you could hit your butt with both hands you could have shot a limit of doves with as many birds as were flying.  It was a perfect plan on a beautiful morning and KDWPT personnel should be proud of their efforts on behalf of Kansas' sportsmen and women.    

The success of this project won't last too long as is the case with Kansas' dove season in general.  A majority of the birds are killed the first week or 10 days of the season and then our harvest figures fall way off.  But by then I'll have my fill and it will be time to look forward to the next item on fall's hunting calendar.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment