Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Thursday, September 29, 2011

BEST LAID PLAN...NOT!

Usually, I'm pretty good about planning things out when it comes to traveling during one of my outdoor adventures.  Although it's easy to forget things when you're hauling boats, dogs, kids, gear, etc., I generally have it covered.  But every once in a while things don't go according to plan.  My recent weekend was one example. 

I went to Melvern Reservoir this weekend to fish with a buddy in a small gathering of Kansas Walleye Association members, friends and family.  We planned to spend the night Saturday and fish Sunday, too.  So after a delicious meal Saturday evening of fried fish with plenty of fixin's, I decided it was time to blow up my bed I'd use in the back of my truck.  It was a new one and prior to leaving home I tried to find the dimensions on the box to make sure it would fit between the wheel wells of the truck bed.  There were no dimensions and I reasoned...surely, it will fit.  NOT! 

As it inflated it I knew I was in trouble.  It would barely fit the bed, let alone between the fender wells.  Plan B was to throw it out on the ground and sleep under the stars.  But as the wind picked up and the sun set, I thought that might be a bit too chilly.  So at about 9:30 p.m., and darker than dark, I decided to put up the tent I brought. 

The tent was also new and I'd never put it together.  I positioned my truck so the headlights would help illuminate my work space.  The tent was a pain.  After 10 minutes or so my truck lights would go off automatically to keep the battery from running down.  That's all fine and dandy but I had to turn them back on three or four times to get the stupid tent up. 


Next order of business was to put my nice, new blow-up bed in the tent.  Well I can tell you from experience a queen size blow-up bed will not fit through the door of a Coleman Expedition 2-3-person tent (which is a misnomer...you could share it with ONE person, but it better be someone you're intimate with as there's a good chance you'd have body parts touching all night long).  So, I had to partially deflate the bed enough to fold it to get it in the door of the tent and then inflate again once inside.  It's getting late by now and my mood isn't good. 

I go to start my truck to move it and it won't crank.  Yes, I was too stupid to simply start and let my truck run while I needed the headlights.  Dead battery.  Another guy in camp has a battery charger and we hook it up and let it go overnight.

I sleep rather well despite my troubles.  But when I woke up at 6:30 a.m. I tried to figure out every way possible to avoid getting out of a really warm sleeping bag to pee.  When it got to the point I couldn't roll over in my cozy bag without feeling like I'd pee my pants I crawled out into the cool, brisk air.  

It was a wonderful morning. I went to start my truck to head to the restroom and it wouldn't crank.  The charger connection continued my wonderful string of good luck.  NOT!  After jumping it I was good to go and fortunately made it. 

I tore down the tent and deflated my air bed.  I may have cussed both a bit as I threw them in the truck.  And then we went fishing and things got better.  Although the fishing wasn't fantastic, we did catch nearly 30 keeper-sized crappie.  But I won't remember the fishing as much as I will my screwed up sleeping arrangements.  Sometimes the best laid plans aren't even close.      

   

1 comment:

  1. practice makes perfect or you're only as good as you practice. take your pick sir. One night below Redmond dam we slept on the ground. It's do-able until it gets to around 40 f. , then it's time to make changes for some shelter of any sorts.

    ReplyDelete