Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

GROWING UP RIGHT

More and more kids today are often far removed from the natural world.  Rural Kansas has given way to urban existence in many cases for one reason or another.  Many of today's youth aren't afforded the same exposure to the outdoors as decades ago.  It's sad, really.

But there are still kids who grow up in the country.  Their backyard is the world's coolest playground where they're free to roam woods and waters.  They learn about how nature works actually being part of it rather than something they see on the Disney Channel.  They're more comfortable with a fishing rod or .22 rifle in their hands rather than a video game controller.  That's reassuring to me.

I got the pleasure to meet one such youngster last weekend.  A buddy and I were fishing at Melvern Reservoir as part of a small get together of Kansas Walleye Association members, friends and family.  Although generally hardcore about toothy critters most were chasing crappie this weekend.  On Sunday young Zach Larson jumped in the boat with us.  He was impressed with my buddy's Ranger boat and looked forward to going "really fast."

Over the next few hours I got to know Zach.  He lives in the country with plenty of room to fish, hunt and trap.  He was more at ease with a fishing rod in his hands than many adults I've seen.  And his knowledge of the outdoors was even more impressive.  We talked about trapping, duck and goose hunting, deer hunting, squirrel and rabbit hunting and fishing for many species of fish in ponds and creeks.  He knew his stuff and was articulate, polite and knowledgeable well beyond his years. 
Zach caught the first crappie and it was a good one.  I caught the next one and teased him that mine was MUCH bigger, although in reality they were nearly identical.  He had a good sense of humor and laughed at my good-natured ribbing.  Our day's tally was 27 keeper-sized crappie.  We had a good time and although fishing was slow Zach seemed to have a good time.  I did, too. 

As we were stowing rods and gear I asked Zach if he liked video games to which he replied, "Nah, I think they're pretty boring...I'd rather be fishing or hunting."

Now that's my kind of kid.  He's growing up right.  I wish the world had more kids just like him.      

No comments:

Post a Comment