Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Friday, November 4, 2011

MMM...MMM...GOOD!

The Kansas pheasant season kicks off November 12th.  It's a great time with family and friends and enjoyed by thousands of residents and non-residents.  But maybe even more importantly is the chance to restock the freezer with one of my favorite main ingredients in a delicious dinner I've enjoyed for decades.

Pheasant stroganoff may sound a bit bizarre, but it's easily at the top of the list of wild game dishes in my book.  A buddy's mother made it for me the first time when I was in 7th grade.  That was a long time ago, but I still remember the recipe and am reminded of how wonderful it is every time I make it.  My family loves it, too, and one son says it's his favorite meal of all.  That's high praise coming from a 12-year-old.  He's like Pavlov's dog when it's cooking and circles the kitchen like a vulture.  My wife, who's real picky about wild game, says it's even in her top 5 favorite meals. 

It's easy to make.  Here's what you need:

2 pheasant breasts, boned              1 medium onion, diced
1 can mushrooms                           chicken bouillon
6-8 carrots                                      1-2 cups sour cream
6-8 celery stalks                             Flour
2-3 T oil                                         Salt, pepper

Cut pheasant into 1" cubes.  Roll in flour and fry in oil (ideally, just enough oil so there is none left when browned) over medium heat.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Add mushrooms and sliced carrots, celery and onion.  Add 2-4 cups chicken bouillon broth, or just enough to cover the meat and vegetables.  Cook on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally until vegetables are done.  Add sour cream and mix.  Serve over rice or noodles. 

Homemade dinner rolls are a nice addition, but we typically don't add any side dishes as it's a meal in itself.  It's easy and doesn't take too long to prepare.  We tag team it as my wife cuts up the ingredients and I cook it.  It works well.  And if you run out of pheasant, chicken breasts work equally as well.

Bon Appetit!  

No comments:

Post a Comment