Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

TURKEY DAY TRADITIONS

It seems everyone has some sort of Thanksgiving day traditions.  Whether it's the usual meal and football watching or any other sort of activity there's always something to look forward to when friends and family get together.  Many of these traditions involve outdoor-related activities.

We started one inadvertently a few years ago.  The Thanksgiving weekend is long enough to be able to set a few traps and run them several times over the course of the weekend.  Our first year's take was considerable and my kids, as well as my nephew, had a good time.  We caught several coons, including one 25-pounder we called coon-zilla, possums and our first coyote.

It was our turn to host the holiday this year and one of the first questions from my sister's kids were "are we going to run traps?"  My 12-year-old niece was on the bandwagon now and likely still miffed she didn't get to go a couple years ago as I didn't have enough room on the ATV for ALL the kids.  My daughter was home from college and she wanted in on the action as well.

I met my sister and her family outside of town on their way here last Thursday.  She followed in her mini-van (much to her chagrin) through a pasture to where I had set traps the day prior.  It looked like we were pulling up to Worlds of Fun as my truck and the van emptied and kids went everywhere.  We had three 12-year-olds, a 14-year-old and my soon-to-be 19 year-old daughter.  My sister and brother-in-law even tagged along with their beagle "chili" dog in tow, too.

We quickly found several of about a dozen traps had connected.  We caught two raccoons and a possum and were optimistic about our beaver chances (check the next blog for that story) as we set more beaver traps.  The kids were excited to be outdoors on a nice day and it was a new experience for my sister and her husband.

The usual turkey day meal followed and we watched football like millions of other Americans.  My company had to leave to go to other relatives that evening but as we said our farewells they were all reminding me to call and text them pictures of the next day's catch.  They couldn't wait to see what was in store. 

It's an odd tradition, but one the kids will remember forever.    

No comments:

Post a Comment