Introduction

The outdoors has special meaning to me. I caught my first fish at age 4 and shot my first duck at age 9. Nearly four decades later I still get excited when I get to spend any time outdoors. A lot has changed during that time but the anticipation and experiences are still similar and just as exciting. It’s a great place to be....Read More

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

PEACEFUL PARTICIPATION

It's not often I slow down long enough to just sit and watch anything. A K-State or KC Chief's football game might be the exception but most of the outdoor things I enjoy I'm an active participant. But maybe that's why bowhunting is relaxing and good for the soul. I may bowhunt a dozen times or so a year but chances are I only get the bow off its hook once or twice a season, if that. Even in a good year it's primarily a spectator sport.

I sat for the first time the other night on a beautiful fall evening. I never really expect to kill anything and was simply looking forward to time in a tree. Nothing knows you're there and witness to the natural world is rewarding. I wouldn't be disappointed.

I'm always fooled by squirrels and other four-legged creatures sounding EXACTLY like approaching deer in dry leaves. The first heart rate increase was caused by a lowly possum meandering through the woods from behind me. When it finally came into view I had to laugh. It kept me amused for the next 45 minutes munching aimlessly on whatever it could find on the forest floor.

Several squirrels moved about the tree tops. I'm always amazed at the ease with which they negotiate their story-tall habitats without so much as a slip. One squirrel in particular was particularly note-worthy as it had to be the largest tree rat I'd ever seen. It could easily be considered big game and was large enough to nearly need his own area code. I've seen thousands of squirrels but this one was Boone and Crockett for sure.
And then as deer often do, a small buck magically appeared without any notice. The 1 1/2-year-old walked right behind and within a few yards of my tree and kept on walking. Ten minutes or so later another small, but slightly bigger buck walked right up to my tree. It stopped only 7 yards from me and stretched broadside, something every bowhunter hopes happens when it's time to shoot. It stayed within 25 yards for 10 minutes or so before finally moving off in the same direction as the previous buck. Neither buck had any idea I was watching just 15' above.

Right at last light I heard more leaves crunching and watched a decent-sized coon come up and out of the creek bed. He walked the trail in front of me and stopped when I made a movement to catch his attention. He stood up on his hind legs, bobbed his head and looked at me like "What in the world are you?" He never figured it out and finally traveled on.

I didn't kill a deer but most hunts end the same way. It's not all bad and being simply a spectator in the game of nature is sometimes rewarding in itself. There's always next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment